Natural feeding along with vitamins and some mineral salts provides correct development of your baby during first 4 – 5 months of his life. Elder children need to receive additional mineral substances like phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper, cobalt, etc.
It is widely known that people receive mineral substances mainly from vegetable food. So, it is natural that the additional food, given to a baby mostly consists of fruits, vegetables, groats, etc.
Cellulose, necessary for the correct alimentary canal functioning is introduced together with the additional food. And, finally, it lets your baby’s organism receive much energy and food ingredients (proteins, fats, carbohydrates) with small amount of it. And, besides, introducing additional food you help your baby to get accustomed to new kinds of food and to weaning.
Additional food is the food, given to a child in accordance with his age except breast feeding. It is usually introduced beginning with the 4th month of baby’s life.
THE ADDITIONAL FOOD INTRODUCTION RULES
While introducing any additional food, you should keep to the following instructions.
1. Additional food should be given before the breast feeding, beginning with the least amounts of it and during 7 – 10 days this amount should be increased up to the complete replacement of one breast feeding.
2. It is not allowed to introduce two or more new dishes simultaneously.
3. You may introduce any new kind of additional food only after your baby got used to the previous one.
4. Any additional food is to be homogeneous in its consistence and it should not cause any problems with swallowing. As your baby becomes older you may introduce thicker food and try to train your little one to chew and to eat from a spoon.
5. The first kind of additional food is vegetables puree, which may be introduced beginning from the 4, 5 – 5th month of your baby’s life. It is especially useful for babies, who arrived before their natural term, of for those, who suffer from anemia, rachitis, hypotrophy, etc.
6. While introducing additional food it is necessary to watch your baby’s stool closely. If his stool is normal, you may increase the amount of puree up to 1 - 1, 5 ounces.
7. By the end of the first week of the additional food introduction one of the breast feedings should be completely replaced by it. The second week is given for your baby’s complete adaptation to the new kind of food.
8. In two weeks after the first kind of additional food introduction, the second kind of it is being introduced. It is porridge, cooked on unskimmed milk.
9. These two kinds of additional food should be separated by one breast feeding.
10. Beginning with the 6,5 – 7th month of your baby’s life the non – fat meat broth, which raises his alimentary canal activity (it stimulates his stomachal secretion) is introduced into his ration. This broth is given with the piece of white bread in the daytime before the vegetable puree. From the age of 7 – 7,5 months beef or chicken, well chopped through the mincing machine is introduced. It is added into the broth or the vegetable puree. Meat puree is also introduced gradually.
11. Beginning with the 8th month of baby’s life one more breast feeding is replaced by the third kind of additional food. It is cottage cheese, chopped with milk or yoghurt.